Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Posts

SeExpr status update!

Posted on .

Hey all!

It’s been quite a while since my last post. Exams for my teaching certification have not gone as expected – had to pull out after being flattened in quite a critical one…

Buuuut! I am glad to announce that the SeExpr documentation is now available in the Krita manual!

Status update: merged!

Posted on .

Hey all!

I’m glad to announce that my GSoC 2020 project has been merged!

You should be able to use Disney’s SeExpr for fun and profit as soon as the next nightly.

The next objective is getting the docs in shape – see this merge request for more information; and, of course, we still need your help for a good batch of scripts to bundle with!

Thank you all for helping out!

Compiling Krita for ARM: an AppImage tale

Posted on .

The AppImage running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. It's slow, but it works 😄

Someone on #krita, can’t remember their exact nick, asked if it was possible to run Krita on ARM-based computers, specifically the Raspberry Pi 3B+. AFAIK, no one has tried to do so, so I will tell you: yes, it is possible! (Although it will run as slow as a turtle!) This work took me the whole weekend, but it was an excellent experience as well as a wonderful way to test our infrastructure.

A key warning before moving on: DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR PI. It will be unbearably slow 😄 I built mine with a Ryzen 7 with 12 threads and it still took me two 12-hour shifts!

This post covers three steps: setting up the build environment, compiling the dependencies and Krita itself, and finally packaging the AppImages themselves. As per the official instructions, we’ll target Ubuntu 16.04 ARM. I chose the armhf port to match the Raspberry Pi’s default distro, Raspbian. I also tested aarch64 – see the last section for the necessary changes.

Third alpha release of my project

Posted on .

I’m glad to announce the third alpha of my GSoC 2020 project. For anyone not in the loop, I’m working on integrating Disney’s SeExpr expression language as a new type of Fill Layer.

Second alpha release of my project

Posted on .

I’ve already announced this on Krita Artists, but I haven’t had time to write more fully about it, so…

First alpha release of my project: looking for feedback!

Posted on .

I’m glad to announce the first alpha of my GSoC 2020 project. For anyone not in the loop, I’m working on integrating Disney’s SeExpr expression language as a new type of Fill Layer.

Status update: Linux

Posted on .

Hey all! Just a quick heads up on my GSoC project.